The Law Offices of Jennifer S. Morrison represents clients throughout Fresno, Tulare, Madera, and Kings Counties in a variety of family law matters. For more information on these areas of practice, please see our frequently asked questions (FAQs) page about Fresno divorce laws.
Our practice extends to nearly every aspect of divorcing in Fresno, including:
- Divorce - The legal process in which an authority such as a judge dissolves the bond of matrimony between two people and restores them to the status of being single and permitting them to marry other individuals.
- Legal separation - a legal separation does not end a marriage, but allows the couple to live apart with a legally enforceable agreement on property division, support, and custody issues.
- Annulment - a declaration by the court that the marriage is not legally valid.
- Division of Assets & Debts - If the parties cannot agree on division, the court will equally divide all property acquired and income earned during the marriage, except property acquired by one spouse only by way of a gift or through a will or other type of inheritance. The court also divides community debts between the parties.
- Child Custody, Visitation, and Support - please see our child custody and support page for more information about these topics.
- Spousal Support - also known as alimony, the court may award spousal support either for a set amount of time or until the occurrence of an event such as death or remarriage of the receiving spouse. The court bases its decision on the length of the marriage, the age and health of the spouses, their respective earning capacities and needs, and expenses related to care and custody of the children, if any.
Our practice also includes, but is not limited to the following areas of family law:
- Post-Judgment Modifications - We assist clients whose circumstances have changed and need to change their custody, child support, or spousal support arrangement.
- Enforcing Custody, Child Support, and Spousal Support orders
- Grandparents' Rights
- Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) cases
- Paternity - the legal process of determining who the legal parents of a child are.
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders - We help parties both defend and obtain temporary restraining orders (TROs), in which a judge orders a person not to go near you, your children, other relatives, or others who live with you.
- Adoption - We assist couples in matters of adoption when couples marry and one spouse already has a child (stepparent adoption).
We understand that being involved in a divorce or family law proceeding is difficult and stressful. By providing personal attention and aggressive representation, we can help you through this time and provide the legal representation you need. Family law proceedings do not have to be hostile; our goal is to settle your matter as amicably as possible. However, if court intervention is required, we will aggressively protect your interests. If you are contemplating a divorce or other family law proceeding, consult a knowledgeable and experienced divorce attorney before taking action. Contact the Law Offices of Jennifer S. Morrison, A Professional Corporation, today.